Janice Stanger, PhD
Read ALL of EVEN's Exclusive Interviews
Non-violence Compassion Sustainability
--- EVEN - Serving as
a vegan resource
since 2005 ---
MyEugene.org Interviews EVEN
Adeline and Lin tabling on Earth Day
"EVEN, an official 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, started out very small, with just Silvan and Jacobucci tabling at the Earth Day celebration at University of Oregon and downtown Eugene. But EVEN quickly grew into Eugene's largest veg education resource."
Source: MyEugene.org Interview with EVEN
Jill - Long-term EVEN Member
Angela - EVEN Supporter and Volunteer
The American fast food diet and the meat eating habits of the wealthy around the world support a world food system that diverts food resources from the hungry. A diet higher in whole grains and legumes and lower in beef and other meat is not just healthier for ourselves but also contributes to changing the world system that feeds some people and leaves others hungry. - Dr. Walden Bello- Filipino author, academic, and political analyst.
Mother pigs on factory farms are confined to crates so small that they are unable to turn around or even lie down comfortably. - Farm Animal Reform Movement (FARM)
There will be no justice as long as man will stand with a knife or with a gun and destroy those who are weaker than he is. - Isaac Bashevis Singer
About EVEN > What EVEN Does
As a vegan resource, EVEN gets information out!
EVEN, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, provides education, information and resources to encourage people to explore the benefits of a plant-based diet and vegan lifestyle, and creates a supportive environment so that those making that healthful and compassionate transition can flourish.
How do we do that??
EVEN's work focuses on 4 major components:
- Website and Newsblog
- EVEN sponsors local and national speakers for free presentations in the Eugene area;
- regularly staffs an information table in town at various locations to distribute veg literature and information;
- tables and panels at special events upon request;
- prints and distributes thousands of pamphlets, informational handouts and veg starter kits per year;
- fields hundreds of questions received from emails and phone calls per week providing personal answers and helpful tools to those inquiring about the how-to of a plant-based diet;
- conducts exclusive EVEN interviews with various vegans who are leaders in their field to provide additional inspiration, guidance and perspective;
- offers Think and Go Veg workshops - designed to provide new vegans with all the information needed about transititioning to a plant-based diet.
- provides a Lending Library filled with the best veg books, magazines, and videos, and makes them available for free;
- updates and informs its members on various veg food products and companies;
- obtains vegan food products and magazines from national companies and organizations to offer free;
- publishes monthly e-newsletters, announcements and bulletins containing relevant, useful veg information.
Website and News Blog
The website and news blog are informative and helpful, and are natural outgrowths of the numerous questions EVEN has answered many times over.
They allow EVEN to provide additional resources and direction to more people and, as such, help us fulfill the EVEN Mission Statement more effectively.
Both website and news blog make it possible to expand what we do so that like-minded people outside the Eugene area can benefit from all the available resources as well.
[Perhaps this site might even encourage some to start a veg group in their own community!]
Everything EVEN does is offered free to the public.
EVEN has been serving as a vegan resource---with focus on outreach and education---since 2005.
Shirley — EVEN Office Support!
- EVEN helps to connect people with veg businesses, organizations, resources, products, and other people;
- refers inquiring minds to long-term, well-established vegan non-profits to make the existing wealth of information and resources available to all;
- promotes and supports all vegan businesses, including locally-owned natural food stores, restaurants and other veg companies;
- publishes a veg service and product directory so veg*ns can patronize other veg*ns.
Although EVEN's primary focus is education and outreach, we understand what value and fun there can be in meeting others who share vegan interests. So there are occasional social EVENts throughout the year. EVEN provides time to socialize and enjoy vegan food at the end of presentations, and we also host dineouts and potlucks throughout the year including a popular Vegan Thanksgiving Peaceful Potluck in November. Sign up for our free email announcements to receive invitations to all EVENts.
These occasions bring together people, vegan food, recipes and positive interactions---all of which help to inform and encourage!
EVEN has been a vegan resource since 2005. Information tables are chock full of free literature and helpful information to make your transition to a plant-based, cruelty-free diet simple, easy and straight-forward. EVEN offers magazines, DVDs, nutritional pamphlets, recipes and starter kits upon request to support you in your efforts.
NOTE: Everything EVEN does is offered free to the public. Since 2005, EVEN has distributed thousands of veg starter kits, books, dvds, nutritional information guidelines, recipes and other helpful resources. We rely solely on donations and, when donations don't cover expenses, we step up to pay them out of pocket. But how can we pay tabling fees when there is already no charge for everything we do? We do not sell anything. EVEN believes information should be free. TRUTH should be free. At your request, we will speak to you, your company, your family, your school, your class or your group, for free. So...why does everyone want to charge us a fee, for doing what we already do for everybody for free?
One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.
Approaching the boy, he asked, "What are you doing?"
The youth replied, "Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them back, they'll die."
"Son," the man said, "don't you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?
You can't make a difference!"
After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said... "I made a difference for that one."
The Original Starfish Story found in "Star Thrower", a collection of essays by the naturalist and writer Loren Eiseley 1978
FREE! Receive invitations, announcements, newsletters and more, on local and national events and issues.
Send an email with the word "Subscribe" in the subject line to: email@example.com
Return to Top of Page